Dry machining is essentially machining without the use of any cutting fluid or coolant. It is becoming increasingly popular due to:
- Concerns regarding the environment
- Operator Safety – Fumes and splashing coolant
- Issues related to the use of conventional flood coolants
- “Dry” may work better for certain metals (Example Aluminum)
- Eliminates cleaning and messy work environment
Dry machining is typically reserved for certain applications, and it may never completely replace the use of cutting fluids, but developments are being made. A significant new advancement called the ChilAire™ cooling system, offers the performance benefits of a dry coolant and the environmental benefits of dry machining, all with great economics.